Thursday, January 22, 2009

Prep work...

Okay, so I don't really know if you can get settled before you move somewhere...but I am giving it a try! I think girls (particularly) do much better in new situations when they know where they will live, where the best grocery store is located, how far they are from friends and family and of course, what shopping is available.

So I have been working on that...

I thought it was funny that my mom and my mother-in-law have both told me about specific stores they know I love. My mom told me about the Anthropologie and my Janie emailed me about the DSWs (3!) in Pittsburgh. So sweet and really encouraging! I hope that doesn't come across materialistic...its just that those places make it feel not quite so foreign.

Here are some updates on what we have found:

Living - Dave went to the Flats at Southside Works to visit with the property manager yesteday. This is an apartment complex we like. There is commercial shopping on the first floor - i.e. H&M, BCBG, Puma, Z Galleries and a Carribou Coffee. The following are some pictures Dave took of the floor plan we like.

Grocery Stores - We found that they have a Whole Foods not far from the apartment. So that is exciting...I will probably use the Giant Eagle mostly as I have heard it is the best 'all-inclusive grocery store. (it drives me CRAZY you can't get cokes at Whole Foods/Central Market). Apparently, they even have a super store that is like Market Street in Lubbock (all yummy prepared things/great produce/flowers like Central Market with the not so good for you chips, cokes and cookie sections) - LOVE THAT!

Distance from Family and Friends - We would be just a short 25 minute drive from the airport! Or 20 hours to FW, 25 hours to Lubbock and only 16 to Wichita!

Here is a map of Pittsburgh...

A - our Apartment (hopefully!)

B - the closest DSW Janie found

C - the Airport!

D - the Cheesecake Factory (our parent's favorite!)

E - our Office

F - Anthropologie (thank you mom!)

G - Whole Foods


View Larger Map

It is about 5 miles from A to B. So everything is fairly close and accessible! I was shocked to learn the city has a population of only 300,000! If you know anything about Pittsburgh, please pass it along! Of course, it will be adventurous figuring it out as we go...but any heads up beforehand would be much appreciated!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

GREAT research, Kristen!! =) I can only imagine what you all are going through... we continue to pray for you and Dave, and are excited to come visit sometime and check out Cheesecake Factory before shopping at DSW. =) Love you guys!!

The Allen's said...

we have oh so much to talk about! can't wait to catch up and have some QT with our fav couple!

Lindsey said...

i love that you're starting to get familiar with what your surroundings will be. wonderful that you can stop at anthropologie on your way home from work!! ha. the loft looks great...it does remind me of your loft downtown. i think you all are going to have a great experience there!

Casey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.